Oct 20, 2014

Trailer for Book of Life



The Book of Life is is starting to premiere all around the world, so it's time I tell you what I think about the trailer (better late than never?). The first thing I notice is the style, the design of the characters and the world. It's vastly different than anything else that is coming out right now, which is good. Many 3D-animated movies usually fall into a typical look, but The Book of Life have avoided that and gone all out with the designs. The designs and also the beginning of the trailer makes me think of The Road to El Dorado (Dreamworks), which might contribute to why I'm drawn to it, El Dorado being my favorite movie of all time. The designs seem to be influenced by the mayan art, and it looks incredibly good. The only design I don't really like is the one of the Princess, her eyes are so big that it looked ridicoulus and immediately took me out of the action. It goes for all the girls in the trailer too. Maybe I'll get used to it when I see the movie, we'll see.

As for the story goes, it seems like a fun adventure movie, with romance, villains and a rivalry. From what I can tell, it feels like it's going to be better than the average 3D-animated movies that comes out nowadays, apart from Disney and Pixar. Though one fear I have is that they will rely too much on comedic sidekicks, it looks like there are a few. I think the main characters looks funny enough to carry the comedy in the movie, so they should focus on them. The style of the movie is amazing, but I'm hoping they have put in as much effort into the story and characters. If they have, this could be a new Halloween Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment